It supports the health professional in:
- assisting patients when considering genetic testing;
- ordering the appropriate genetic test;
- interpreting its result in the context of clinical decision making; and
- providing follow-up care and support to the patient and family.
In addition to addressing technical issues of test utilisation and performance, the paper highlights the ethical, legal and social issues resulting from genetic testing, including:
- direct to consumer testing, personalised medicine and other emerging technologies; and
- genetic testing for purposes other than the direct health care of the individual such as; relationship testing, insurance, workplace or sport applications, and research.