Road Map II can be used by researchers to develop research proposals to apply for NHMRC funding under NHMRC Targeted Calls for Research in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health, or in any biomedical, clinical, public or health services research field which includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population level health research.
Road Map II contains seven action areas for research. The action areas are aimed at:
- increasing participation by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander researchers in NHMRC programs and in health and medical research generally
- promoting and linking NHMRC’s activities in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health with the activities of other stakeholders in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- contributing to the Australian Government’s Close the Gap health initiatives in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- supporting researchers in biomedical, clinical, health services and public health research to work collaboratively
- supporting research endeavours that generate accessible and effective clinical and public health medicine in partnership with the Aboriginal community-controlled health sector.
Road Map II was endorsed by the NHMRC Council at its 180th Session on 9 December 2009.