This Committee is examining best practice to ensure drinking water is safe for humans to drink, while minimising any possible health risks associated with the disinfection process.
NHMRC’s Drinking Water Disinfection By-Products Advisory Committee (DWDBPAC), will provide scientific advice to NHMRC on the management of disinfection by-products (DBPs) with the aim of minimising the potential risks to human health when drinking water is disinfected (eg chlorination). This advice will be incorporated into the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines (ADWG).
- Consultant – Environmental Epidemiology; Environmental Health and Health Services.
- Adjunct Professor, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia.
- Emeritus Professor, School of Public Health, University of Sydney.
- Area of expertise is in medicine, public health, epidemiology and research into the genetic and environmental causes of cancer.
- Casual consultant to the Sax Institute Sydney in relation to a Department of Veterans Affairs contract to prepare a framework for evaluation of the effectiveness of rehabilitation under Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act
- Casual consultant to the National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health at ANU in relation to the ACT Asbestos Health Study
- Associations - current: Honorary Life Member of the Public Health Association of Australia; Fellow of the Australian Academy of Sciences; Honorary Member of the International Association of Cancer Registries
- Committee Memberships – Current: Expert Advisory Group on Environmental Health NSW Health; National Board and the Scientific and Advisory Committee – Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia; Expert Advisory Group, Prostate Cancer Foundation and Cancer Council Australia – Development of Clinical Practice Guidelines for PSA Testing and Management of Test - Detected Prostate Cancer; and Department of Veterans Affairs Specialist Medical Review Council in relation to smoking and prostate cancer
- Committee Memberships - Past t: Senior Advisor at the Sax Institute Sydney; Chair of the Board – NSW Bureau of Health Information; Senior Visiting Scientist – International Agency for Research on Cancer; Chair of NHMRC Wind Farms and Human Health Reference Group
As a consumer representative, contributing strategic advice on corporate risk, customer service and operations management.
- Executive Director for Corporate Services and Company Secretary – ‘Haven; Home, Safe’
- Principal Consultant – Kerri Carr Consulting
- Previous Positions: General Manager for Corporate Services, Business and Risk – ‘Haven; Home, Safe’ (affordable housing sector); Operations Manager – Radius Disability Services 2012 – 2015; General Manager for Customer Service – Coliban Water 2009 – 2011
- Associations – Current: Governance Institute of Australia; Australian Institute of Company Directors; Institute of Managers and Leaders Australia / New Zealand
- Committee Memberships – Past: Coliban Water’s Tasting Panel; Chair for Coliban Water Customer Advisory Groups
From Cochrane Australia, Monash University. Area of expertise in Medical and Health Research Methodology, Policy Development.
- Cochrane Australia 2007 – current.
- Previous positions: Cochrane Australia’s international office as Head of Learning and Support; Health policy work for the Australian Public Service
- Committee Memberships - Current: Cochrane Public Health Review Group – Editor; Cochrane Methods Application and Review Standards Advisory Committee
- Committee Memberships - Past: Co-Chair of Workshop Committee – Cochrane Colloquium (International Conference) 2009 – 2015; Public Health Association of Australia 2007 – 2013
- Publications of numerous journal articles and presentations (on behalf of Cochrane)
- Principal Research Fellow, Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney.
- Area of expertise is perinatal epidemiology and research into maternal and infant morbidity and mortality.
- Principal Research Fellow, Clinical and Population Perinatal Health Research, Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney
- Chief Investigator on a number of NHMRC, ARC and other grants relating to maternal and infant health
- Associate Editor, Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology
- Associations – Current: Sax Institute Sydney; Australasian Epidemiological Association and Society for Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research
- Published numerous journal articles, book chapters and reports on maternal and infant health outcomes. Has also presented at various conferences, workshops and seminars on this topic
- From the School of Public Health, Curtin University.
- Area of expertise: cancer research; exposure epidemiology; occupational and exposure assessment.
- Professor at School of Public Health, Curtin University; Adjunct Professor at the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- Associations – Current: Australasian Epidemiological Association; International Commission on Occupational Health; APHRA – Registered Australian Medical Practitioner
- Committee Memberships - Current: Chair of the Cancer Council W.A. – Research Committee; Specialist Medical Review Council – Department of Veterans Affairs
- Committee Memberships – Past: Expert Working Group for Monographs 106, 110, 112 & 117 by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (2012-2016); Reference Group in ‘Choices in Cancer Control’ Project – W.A. Department of Health; NHMRC Research Committee – International Schemes/Research Assistance/Quality Control; Chaired joint NHMRC/ARPANSA Working Committee on Electromagnetic Emissions; enHealth Expert Advisory Committee on the development of Environmental Noise Guidelines; NHMRC Expert Review Committee for the draft paper on Evidence on Wind Farms and Human Health
- Published numerous journal articles, book chapters and reports on cancer research and exposure assessment. Presented at various conferences, workshops and seminars on this topic.
- Adjunct A/Professor, Department of Medical Biotechnology, Flinders University.
- Affiliate Associate Professor, Discipline of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology, University of Adelaide.
- Area of expertise in toxicology; chemical contaminants of drinking and recycled waters.
- Previous position: Senior Scientist (chemical contamination), Customer Value & Water Quality Research Group, Australian Water Quality Centre, South Australian Water Corporation
- Associations – Past: Association of Official Analytical Chemists Task Force on Marine and Freshwater Toxins
- Committee Memberships – Current: WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality: Chemical Aspects Working Group
- Committee Memberships – Past: Project Advisory Committee for Australian Recycled Water Centre for Excellence; NHMRC’s Water Quality Advisory Committee and Disinfection By-Products Working Group (2011-2015); Chair of the Project Review team and Member of the Drinking Water Research Steering Team for Water Research Australia Limited
- Publications: Co-authored the ADWG Fact Sheet on cyanobacterial toxins; Co-authored WHO background documents in support of guidelines for cyanobacterial toxins in drinking water; Co-authored and developed guidelines for cyanobacterial toxin contamination of seafood for the Department of Health, Victoria; published numerous journal articles, book chapters and reports on water quality and toxicology; presented at various conferences, workshops and seminars on these topics
- From Curtin Water Quality Research Centre, Department of Chemistry, Curtin University.
- Area of expertise: water chemist; organic chemist; water and disinfection by-products research.
- Deputy Director of the Curtin Water Quality Research Centre, Curtin University; Associate Professor of the Department of Chemistry, Curtin University
- Chief investigator for ARC Linkage project on nitrogen compounds in wastewater treatment, Water Corporation Western Australia, Water Research Australia
- Past Chief Investigator for ARC Linkage projects on disinfection by-products and their precursors in drinking water – ARC, Water Corporation Western Australia, Water Research Australia, GHD Pty Ltd
- Associations – Current - Australian Water Association
- Published numerous journal articles, book chapters and reports on chemicals and disinfection by-products in water. Also presented at various international and national conferences, seminars and workshops.
- At the Australian Centre for Human Health Risk Assessment, Monash University.
- Office of Chemical Safety, Australian Department of Health.
- Are of expertise in risk assessment; toxicology; and environmental health.
- Director of the Australian Centre for Human Health Risk Assessment, Monash University; Senior Principal Scientist at the Office of Chemical Safety , Australian Department of Health
- Science Fellow for Food Standards Australia and New Zealand, and Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority
- Member and Fellow of the Australasian College of Toxicology and Risk Assessment
- Committee Memberships - Current: CRC CARE Technical Working Group on PFOS/PFOA 2015 – present; Advisor to Air Services Australian PFOS contamination issues 2015 – present
- Committee Memberships - Past: Advisory Panel of TCE contamination at Clovelly/Mitchell Park, South Australia 2014 – 2015; Queensland Water Commission Expert Panel – Indirect Potable Reuse (Water Recycling) Project 2007 – 2013; Managed the review and update of the enHealth publication – Guidance on Environmental Health Risk Assessment 2009 – 2012; Water Quality Research Australia, Research Steering Committee 2008 – 2011; Environmental Protection and Heritage Council Working Group to develop a national risk management framework for recycled water 2004 – 2008
- Published numerous journal articles, book chapters and reports on water quality, toxicology, and a risk assessment. Presented at various conferences, workshops and seminars on these topics.