The 2010 review was published in the Medical Journal of Australia (2010; 192 (9): 490-494).
Since 2010 NHMRC has released follow up reports. The fourth (2014) reports on 1046 guidelines produced by more than 130 Australian guideline developers between 2005 and 2013.
Of these guidelines:
- 41% provide guidance on a national health priority
- 23% are developed by Australian state or territory governments
- 5% are issued and/or approved by NHMRC
- 22% document evidence of a structured literature search
- 14% document evidence of consumer involvement
- 12% published declarations of competing interests
The NHMRC guideline reports highlight the considerable investment in guideline production in Australia. They reinforce the need for better coordination to ensure that Australian clinicians and consumers have access to current, high quality, relevant guidelines in areas of identified need.